Since I've been gone so long with no logical explanation, I thought I start back up with something useful: Our favorite muffins! These are easy enough for little ones to help and delicious. I just puree the veggies in my little food processor.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I prefer canola oil)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated zucchini (just about any squash will do)
- 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugar. Beat in egg, then applesauce. Stir in carrots and zucchini.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Fold dry ingredients into wet, until just mixed. Grease muffin tray. Spoon batter to the very top of muffin cups and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in a muffin.